[Avodah] If you have an electronic water meter, can you turn on your faucet on Shabbos?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 1 03:14:43 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 12:26:48PM +0300, Marty Bluke wrote:
:> I would be happier if PVWC put the meter on a timer and gave me my water
:>  for free on Shabbos. Therefore, helping them bill me is lo nicha lei.

: And I would be happier if when I cut off the chicken's head it wouldn't
: die, but it will...

That establishes that it's a pesiq reishei. Not whether or not nicha lei.
I'm not trying to reclassify it as gerama or anything, just a type of
pesiq reishei that many permit.

If you agree that it's pesiq reishei delo nicha lei (PRDNL), then if we
determine that the effect on the meter is derabbanan, many acharonim
(R YE Spektor, ROY) would permit it. Others, like the MB, would only
permit a PRDNL to avoid a double-derabbanan (eg: catching a bug that
isn't normally caught in something so big you still have to corner it
to take it out of the trap). Which the meter might also qualify as.

In my case, PVWC's meter is mechanical. In many other homes, the meter
has no display, only a jack for the meter reader, some use wireless so
that the reader doesn't even have to enter your home. In which case,
there is no issur to avoid.

Micha Berger             "And you shall love H' your G-d with your whole
micha at aishdas.org        heart, your entire soul, and all you own."
http://www.aishdas.org   Love is not two who look at each other,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      It is two who look in the same direction.