[Avodah] Brush teeth after seudat shlishit

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 27 11:44:33 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 02:05:13PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> I don't see why it would not be allowed.  People don't usually have a
> huge seudah shlishit either, but nobody suggests that it's not allowed
> because of hachana.

Perhaps because we require only the thinnest of explanations for how
it might be usable on Shabbos in order to consider it

Eg:
You can wash the glasses as long as there is any chance guests might come
and you'll want to serve the a drink. (Shabbos 118a) Even in the winter,
when you're more likely to offer a hot drink in a mug... Admittedly the
AhS 323:7 explicitly excludes the case where you have enough clean glasses
to cover plausible need without washing them. But that's not a given --
Mishneh Halakhos 3:40 permits!

So it would seem that having a primary motive that is for after Shabbos
is not hachanah as long as you can have a side motive of preparing for
Shabbos. And I would think that that means that if you enjoy the food
on Shabbos the fact that you're eating more because of the coming taanis
wouldn't be enough to declare it hachanah. What do you think?

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507