[Avodah] Brush teeth after seudat shlishit

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Jul 27 15:43:06 PDT 2012

On 27/07/2012 2:44 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> So it would seem that having a primary motive that is for after Shabbos
> is not hachanah as long as you can have a side motive of preparing for
> Shabbos. And I would think that that means that if you enjoy the food
> on Shabbos the fact that you're eating more because of the coming taanis
> wouldn't be enough to declare it hachanah. What do you think?

Well, the same would apply to RLL's Pringles.  But I think that hachana,
like "vedaber davar", works much like mar'is ha'ayin.  If it doesn't
*look* like hachana, and you don't *say* it's hachana, then it isn't.
Thus one is allowed to take a walk on Shabbos that happens to take one
right up to the techum, and then cross the techum as soon as Shabbos is
over and keep going.  One just can't *say* that one is doing so.  One may
take a nap on Shabbos Erev Pesach, or Erev Shavuos, but one may not say
"let's take a nap so we can stay up tonight".

But here I think even this is too little.  I've never heard a kepeida
against calling the afternoon meal a "seudah hamafsekes".  I've never
heard a kepeida against telling someone to drink so you won't bethirsty
tomorrow, as there is against telling someone to sleep so they can be
up for the seder.  Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion