[Avodah] If you have an electronic water meter, can you turn on your faucet on Shabbos?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jul 26 06:35:59 PDT 2012

On 26/07/2012 8:23 AM, Marty Bluke wrote:

> The question of neicha lei is whether I want the meter to record my usage or not? IMHO, the answer is yes. I am being billed by usage, if the usage is not recorded then I have no way of paying for the water so I want the usage to be recorded which means it is neicha lei.

On the contrary, you'd much rather it was not recorded, and you were
given the water for free.  Paying for the water is not a benefit to you,
it's a harm, albeit one you've consented to as a condition of getting the
water, so it's definitely "lo nicha leih".

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion