[Avodah] If you have an electronic water meter, can you turn on your faucet on Shabbos?

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 05:23:30 PDT 2012

R' Micha Berger wrote:
"The subject of billing is lo nicha lei because that side of the
transaction /is/ separable from the receiving side. There are more
possibilities in the universe than buy vs steal."

I don;t understand your point here at all. When I turn on the faucet it
causes 2 things to happen:
1. The water starts flowing
2. The meter measure the water flow

The question of neicha lei is whether I want the meter to record my usage
or not? IMHO, the answer is yes. I am being billed by usage, if the usage
is not recorded then I have no way of paying for the water so I want the
usage to be recorded which means it is neicha lei.