[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 16 13:12:18 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:12:55PM +0300, Doron Beckerman wrote:
:> Angaria is "bevinyan, vachavita ... lishruras hamelekh" (from which Hil'
:> Talmud Torah 6:10 exempts the TC), not lehilakheim.

: No, it means ANY service that the govt. imposes.

Which in Asa's case was dismantling an already-conquered fortress,
as per the rest of the pasuq.

And in Avraham's case, the words are laholikham lemilkhamah and this weird
"angaria". Latzeis lemilkhamah, used dozens of times in chazal for going
out to fight, does not appear.

Why in these two instances where the discussion is TC being improperly
utilized, Chazal uniquely apply to people the word they (and the Eastern
half of the Roman Empire) use for losing a donkey to Roman seizure? If
they're talking about drafting there is a usual idiom for drafting. To
me it seems clear they were actively trying to avoid implications of
being pressed into the army.

:> Depending upon what you walk up to the Rambam depending to find.

: You mean like the Tzitz Eliezer, RYMT, and Rav Arieli from Mercaz
: Harav did?

As I said, one could pasqen either way from the Rambam's comparison
of levi'im and TC. It was you who said one was "obviously" what the
Rambam meant.

Micha Berger             Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of
micha at aishdas.org        greater vanity in others; it makes us vain,
http://www.aishdas.org   in fact, of our modesty.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              -Louis Kronenberger, writer (1904-1980)