[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Doron Beckerman beck072 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:12:55 PDT 2012

> >> R' Shach's statements are "accepted Chareidi thought", in particular in
> Israel. So your proposed defense, relying on defying not only R' Shach's
> position, but a cause he used to declare someone's writings -- even on
> other subjects -- michutz lamachaneh, doesn't work. Not because you
> personally must follow REMS, but because the people whose decision you're
> explaining do. <<

Really? Everyone who does not go to the army assumes that Shimshon was the
Gadol Hador? I beg to differ.

> >> The Maharsha is where I got the idea that R' Yehudah bases his shitah
> of what was Asa's cheit (drafting chasanom and kallos) on it not being a
> milkhemes mitzvah. <<

That is ONE possibility ("Efshar") in the Maharsha itself. The Tzitz
Eliezer says that Asa's Hava Amina to take Chasan Mechadro was because he
thought it to be a Milchemes Mitzvah, and he is STILL criticized for taking
the TCs.

> >> In Greek (from which the word was borroed -- thus I called the word a
> "loan word") it means specifically to collect enemy materiel for use
> in the war. <<

GOOGLE IT! I cited Merriam-Webster's first definition. It just does NOT
make sense otherwise.

>> Angaria is "bevinyan, vachavita ... lishruras hamelekh" (from which Hil'
Talmud Torah 6:10 exempts the TC), not lehilakheim. <<

No, it means ANY service that the govt. imposes.

>> Depending upon what you walk up to the Rambam depending to find. <<

You mean like the Tzitz Eliezer, RYMT, and Rav Arieli from Mercaz Harav did?