[Avodah] LED "tealights" for Shabbos candles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 12 07:28:22 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 09:38:40AM -0400, M Cohen wrote:
: Bidieved you can use them for Shabbos candles
: L'chatchila flame is preferred

I would think that it makes a difference also what the "them" is.

Incandescent light bulbs provide the light of a hot metal filament. The
heat is (hopefully very slowly) melting the filament. There are shitos
that call turning on a light-bulb havarah, others call it bishul (and yet
others distinguish it from a textbook gacheles shel mateteches). So to
say that's aish is somewhat easier.

In a fluorescent lamp, including the kind the US and EU are phasing
in to replace incandescents, there is also a hot glowing filament, but
that's not the light you're using. (You're using the light produced by a
fluorescent material that is glowing because it is being bombarded with
electrons from tat filament.) I would find that harder to say "me'orei
ha'eish" over, but still, at least the question of aish comes up.

An LED is a semiconductor where atoms in it emit light when their energy
level drops due to electrons jumping across a transmission in how the
semiconductor is "doped". There is no heating. Nothing remotely similar
to the concept of aish as per havarah, mechabeh or bishul. I have even
a harder time picturing the appropriateness of "me'orei ha'eish" on them.

Micha Berger             The purely righteous do not complain about evil,
micha at aishdas.org        but add justice, don't complain about heresy,
http://www.aishdas.org   but add faith, don't complain about ignorance,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      but add wisdom.     - R AY Kook, Arpilei Tohar