[Avodah] LED "tealights" for Shabbos candles

Saul Guberman saulguberman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 08:29:10 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> I would find that harder to say "me'orei
> ha'eish" over, but still, at least the question of aish comes up.

That is for havdalah.  What you argue is very sound.

The bracha for Shabbos/Yom Tov is l'hadlik ner.   How much of a stretch is
it to say that turning a bulb on is lighting.  The idea is for there to be
light.  The Mishna lists items not to be used because they are a bizayon
due to smell or poor quality.  While a bulb is not a wick/candle, it does
give off light.

Saul