[Avodah] LED "tealights" for Shabbos candles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 12 08:34:46 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:08:28AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> But we're not discussing "borei me'orei ha'esh"; we're discussing
> "lehadlik ner shel shabbos kodesh" or "shel yom tov", etc.  And there
> the mitzvah is the provision of practical light by which one may walk
> around without hurting oneself, and see what one is eating.  A LED
> provides this just as well as a candle.

You're correct, crossed wires on my part. But my questions about
the matbeiah have parallels WRT "lehadliq neir" as well. Can turning
on something without setting it on fire be called "hadlaqah"? Deleq
includes to the consumption of the thing being burned; eg see the
idiomatic use in Ovadiah pasuq 18 -- "... uveis Eisav leqash, vedalequ
bahem va'akhalum...". If something that gives light without ustilizing
aish a "neir"?

Maybe we should tell someone to say "leha'ir me'oros shel Shabbos
[Qodesh]" or somesuch.

Micha Berger             When you come to a place of darkness,
micha at aishdas.org        you don't chase out the darkness with a broom.
http://www.aishdas.org   You light a candle.
Fax: (270) 514-1507        - R' Yekusiel Halberstam of Klausenberg zt"l