[Avodah] Mechallel Shabbos to destroy a non-kosher phone?

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jul 3 08:04:11 PDT 2012

From: Marty Bluke <marty.bluke at gmail.com>

>>  Continuing the discussion from Areivim. The Toldos Avraham Yitzchak
Rebbe
made a series of statements against non-kosher phones. One of the  things
that he is reported to have said was that if they find a non-kosher  phone
on Shabbos they can be mechallel shabbos to destroy it. He also said  that
the destroyers would not have to pay for the destroyed  phone.<<

Someone else posted to Areivim that the Rebbe did not say you should
destroy the phone on Shabbos, he said you can move the phone (even though it's
muktza -- presumably move it with a shinui) and hide it somewhere, and
destroy  it after Shabbos.

I myself wonder if he really meant what he said literally.  We have a  long
tradition -- especially in Israel -- of people saying extreme things, very
heatedly, as a kind of rhetorical flourish, not really expecting to be
taken  literally.

--Toby  Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair