[Avodah] Mechallel Shabbos to destroy a non-kosher phone?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Jul 2 20:22:11 PDT 2012

> Therefore even if it were allowed -- it is necessary to consult with
> a beis din before doing anything.

Which in this case has been done.  We are, after all, talking not about
random people deciding to do this on their own, but about a specific
instruction from the TAY Rebbe, who certainly has the authority of a
beis din.

> We see clearly in the above gemora, that the pious person indicated
> that he should have been more patient and not have been so hasty to
> rip the garment.

While R Ada did ruefully comment that he could have saved himself some
money by being more patient, the gemara does not think so.  On the
contrary, the *whole point* of the gemara in telling the story is that
R Ada's zeal and risk-taking is greatly to be admired, and halevai that
we would have the mesirus nefesh to do like him, and act leshem shamayim
without considering the potential cost.  It's very strange to use this
gemara to cool someone off and tell him that even if he's willing to take
such a risk he shouldn't!

> Also we see that Yaakov did not approve of this theft which Rachel
>  kept concealed from him and in fact he cursed the person who stole the idols

Because he didn't know that they'd been stolen for a good reason, and
thought Lavan was making the whole thing up.  There is no indication
that he would not have approved of Rachel's theft had he known of it.

> It could also be that in our case it is not the appropriate time to
> stop them from watching television and an act that is premature can
> cause much harm.

Not an issue in our case.

> it is necessary to get permission with a wise person as to what is
> appropriate and to follow his words

This sentence makes no sense as is, but I greatly suspect the words
"get permission" is a mistranslation, and should read "consult".
In this case, of course, we're talking about that "wise person's"
instruction.

> In conclusion, [...] it is best if he asks a posek before he does
> anything. One who acts according to the rabbis will always merit success.

Exactly.

On 2/07/2012 7:54 AM, Chana Luntz wrote:
> So even if there is a power of vigilantism that would allow one to prevent
> another person from eating treif food (and not just an obligation on beis
>  din)

There certainly is:  http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/7110.htm#25

And in our case, we are talking about shluchei beis din, who are certainly
allowed to do so:  http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/7102.htm#13

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name