[Avodah] The Future of the Sefer

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Fri Sep 7 19:17:27 PDT 2012

In the recent August 30th Jewish Action Magazine, there was a critique by Avi Muschel of an article by Gil Student entitled "The Future of the Sefer."
The following is an excerpt from Muschel's critique:

"While acknowledging that our generation is unfocused and impatient, Rabbi Student argues that it is our approach to the study of Torah that must be modified.
Although he acknowledges that Shabbos provides an escape from being wired, he suggests that we modify our techniques of weekday Torah learning to accommodate
the Internet’s standards. This concession is painful and fundamentally problematic. Is it not an article of our faith that we must protect Torah from the raging forces of modern societal change?"

Personally, I feel the fact that Muschel feels "This concession is painful and fundamentally problematic.
Is it not an article of our faith that we must protect Torah from the raging forces of modern societal change?"
is an indication that Muschel doesn't understand the context. Gil's suggestion is no different from many things
that change due to different circumstances and are sanctioned by respected poskim. What Muschel refers to
as the concession being painful and problematic is a very subjective statement. It is Muschel's lack of understanding
that causes him pain. The changes that occur due to technology, etc. in no way fails to protect Torah from "the raging
forces of modern societal change."  I think Rabbi Gil Student is on the mark!  Shkoiach!!