[Avodah] Freeing a Slave

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 1 08:00:04 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 (a year ago) at 4:55pm -0400, I wrote:
: It seems that in the Y-mi, shikhrur avadim is a good thing. See Pesachim
: 2:2, vilna 15a. There is a mishnah that says that a Jew who uses chameitz
: as collateral for Pesach to secure a loan from a non-Jew may not use
: the chameitz after Pesach. Collateral does not sufficiently remove it
: from his reshus, and so he violated bal yeira'eh.
:
: However, when it comes to freeing an eved, Rav says either the owner or
: the lender could free the eved, and R' Yochanan holds only the owner. So,
: the gemara cites that mishnah as a question on Rav. R' Yudan [ie Yehudah]
: answers that "qal hu beshikhrur". And he quotes another mishnah: Someone
: who makes his slave a security -- if [the borrower] sells him, he is
: not sold, if he frees him, the [slave] is not freed.
:
: Freeing a slave is a value which motivates a qulah.

Zev expressed surprise, that we could have a machloqes so broad as the Bavli
only permitting shikhrur to enable some other mitzvah to the Y-mi considering
it a positive thing that force qulos elsewhere. So I followed up the next day.