[Avodah] rif yomi

M Cohen mcohen at touchlogic.com
Wed Aug 1 10:13:45 PDT 2012

RM wrote.. I don't know of anyone learning Rif Yomi. And while it's a
logical alternative,
I don't see gemara-stripped-of-"lomdus" successfully catching on to the
scale Daf Yomi has.

Probably true when your issue is scaling it for the rabim - yeshiva educated
guys have
been trained into seeing gemara (aka dyomi) as the only limud.

But for the record, I teach a rif yomi to a group of BTs
We keep pace with daf yomi, shifting to likutei halachos where there is no
rif

Approx 2.5 hrs/wk (1 sometimes 2 nights a week)

I find it the perfect material for those whose time commitment
or learning abilities are not up to daf yomi.

Makes chazara a lot easier!

Testing oneself on dafi yomi tests (ie dirshu) after doing the rif
shows that you typically know 90%+ of the ikar daf yomi material.

For the aggadeta sections, one can use ain Yaakov (or the English ArtScroll)
as desired.

http://rifyomi.com seems to have stopped producing shiurim after moed
(although other useful material there)
http://alfasi.blogspot.ca/ (josh Waxman) has translated much rif, but also