[Avodah] Meat on Motzei Tisha B'Av

Isaac Balbin isaac at balb.in
Tue Jul 31 20:26:24 PDT 2012

This year, I had trouble understanding why meat should be forbidden,
given that the fast was already Nidche. The Mishna B'rura points to a
Tshuva from the Maharil. I understand that the Arizal, and Sefardi
Poskim do permit it.

I thought that perhaps it was because when a fast is associated with
T'shuva, that there is an inyan to also "complete" the fast so to
speak with an act of mourning, including not having meat after such a
fast. I didn't think that Tisha B'Av was one of those typical fasts as
it also has the aspect of a Moed.

I spoke with a Rav, and he told me that R' Soloveitchik had written
something about Aninus of a Cohen Gadol based on a Rambam, and it was
perhaps on this basis that we don't eat meat even after Tisha B'Av
that was Nidche.

Can anyone enlighten me further?