[Avodah] Imposing dress codes on non-Jews

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:10:24 PDT 2012

There has been a discussion on areivim about the dress codes that some
Chasidim are imposing on their non-Jewish customers in their stores in
Brooklyn. I think this discussion brings up a much broader issues, and that
is what are the rules for non-Jews in terms of tznius, sexual morality
etc.? Are there any halachos relating to tznius for non-Jews? To take it to
the extreme is there anything wrong with a non-Jew being a nudist? Watching
pornography? Having casual (or paid for) sex (as the Rambam describes at
the beginning of Hilchos Ishus regarding kodem matan torah which should
still apply to non-jews)? If yes, why? We have various halachos of kedoshim
tihyu, lo tasuru acharei eyneichem, etc. why would any of these apply to a
non-Jew? If they don't should we be trying to impose our morality (for lack
of a better word) on the non-Jews?