[Avodah] ceremonies in halacha

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Aug 2 19:23:36 PDT 2012

Regarding the possibility that (in R' Micha Berger's words) 'The Gra made a berakhah "al akhilas matzah" whenever eating matzah during the entire 8 days of Pesach', Rav Elazar M. Teitz wrote:

> It seems inconceivable that the Gaon would have had such a
> shitta without mention being made in Maasei Rav.  It is
> certainly a bigger chiddush than, e.g., making a b'racha
> whenever entering the sukka, even without eating; yet that
> is mentioned, while a b'racha on matza other than at the
> seder is not.

Is it the *Gra's* chiddush to to say a b'racha on the sukka even when not eating? Or is this view older than that?

As I understand it, Mishne Brura 639:46 says that this is the "dina d'gemara, l'daas poskim rishonim". And the Aruch Hashulchan 639:26 also gives it as "dina d'gemara", and specifically cites the Rif, the Rosh, and Rambam Sukka 6:12 as supporting this view.

Akiva Miller