[Avodah] Imposing dress codes on non-Jews

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 31 15:32:33 PDT 2012

On 30-Jul-2012, at 4:24pm EST, the other RMB (R' Marty luke) asked:
> I think this discussion brings up a much broader issues, and that is
> what are the rules for non-Jews in terms of tznius, sexual morality
> etc.? Are there any halachos relating to tznius for non-Jews?

I don't think they have hilkhos tzeni'us, yichud, etc... but on a moral
plane, it makes sense for us to promote their compliance.

Tzeni'us is largely a collection of dinim derabbanan to protect people
from being tempted into issurim. (And most of the deOraisos probably
would have been banned derabbanan for the same reason.) Gilui arayos are
within the 7 mitzvos, at least enough instances to provide value to the
same issurim.

The same Areivim conversation discussed CM, and whether the halakhos
involving money imply fiscal ethics beyond the Jewish community.

I think there are two distinct concept in mitzvos bein adam lachaveiro:
morality and fraterinity.

We are allowed to charge nachriim ribis. If ribis were morally wrong,
that wouldn't be true. It would seem that the problem with ribis is that
it violates the fraternity of *Benei* Yisrael. "Vechai *achikha* imakh."

Similarly, hasagas gevul.

I would therefore think the question of how Capitalist is the Torah's
ideal economy depends on whether we are prohibited things like onaas
mammon WRT nakhriim.

This line of reasoning falls, though, when one compares geneivas aku"m
with geneivas da'as aku"m, where the latter is more directly assur.

Thoughts?

Micha Berger             You cannot propel yourself forward
micha at aishdas.org        by patting yourself on the back.
http://www.aishdas.org                   -Anonymous
Fax: (270) 514-1507