[Avodah] treif anatomy [redirected from Areivim]

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jul 10 22:33:51 PDT 2012

I just found this old post to Areivim (from January) in my old  email -- if
it has already been extensively discussed, I missed it  or have forgotten
it.:

In a message dated 1/26/2012, Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org writes:

_http://www.mpaths.com/2012/01/why-is-my-cow-treif.html_
(http://www.mpaths.com/2012/01/why-is-my-cow-treif.html)

nice pics  of treif anatomy

"Some farmers are giving their cows feed combinations that may cause bloat,
 and cows apparently aren’t good at burping and can explode. A solution to
this  is a rumen injector or trocar puncture tool. These are tools that
punch anywhere  from small to fist sized holes into one of the cow’s stomachs –
a procedure that  automatically renders the cow not kosher."

I am going to ask a childishly simple question. Doesn't treif mean the
animal has a condition that will soon cause its death? If the farmer does a
procedure that creates a hole in the cow's stomach -- but he does it to
PREVENT  the cow's death -- why does it make the cow treif? Does everyone agree
that this  procedure renders the cow treif, or are there poskim who consider
the cow  kosher?

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good values,  good family, good  hair