[Avodah] Kivrey Avos

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 09:31:40 PDT 2012

From: Zev Sero <zev at sero.name>
The  common minhag is to go to the graves and invite them.  Do they not  do
that in your family?  (What if the graves are not accessible, or  they
never came to kever yisroel?  Does that mean they don't come?   I don't
know.  Maybe if you invite those whose graves you can access,  they will
inform the others?)

--
Zev  Sero
zev at sero.name

"Do they not do that in your family?" Yes we do do that in our family, if
the cemetery is reasonably accessible. I guess that means my paternal
grandparents go to family weddings in America and my maternal grandparents go to
weddings in Israel. But in reality I thought that going to the cemetery and
 formally inviting the grandparents was just a nice thing to do -- to show
them  honor and show they are still loved and missed. I assumed they would
come even  if not formally invited -- and even if they have to cross the
ocean to get to  the wedding.   I have not yet had the zechus to marry off my
own  children -- I must ask my brother in Toronto if he sent someone to the
bais olam  in Bet Shemesh to invite my grandparents to the Toronto weddings.
I highly  doubt that the siblings in Israel sent anyone to New Jersey to
invite my  grandparents who are buried there, when they made their children's
weddings  in E'Y.

Anyone know sources re whether the grandparents will come even if not
formally invited?  And do you have to go the cemetery -- or could you just  kind
of address the air, or a photo of your grandparents, and invite them that
way?  And hm, I wonder if you could do something like what Lubs do at the
Ohel -- send an invitation to the cemetery office, and ask them to read it at
 the kevarim of the grandparents who are buried there?  I wonder what the
cemetery workers would think of such a request?  And do you leave the
invitation there -- on the ground?

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair