[Avodah] Translation of "Yayyin"

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jun 21 09:19:07 PDT 2012

On 6/06/2012 2:09 PM, Zvi Lampel wrote:
> Actually, I thought the translation preserves the ambiguity. The
> Hebrew reads, "v'no-hagim sheh-shofchim L'EE-BUDE HA-MAKKOS v'ein
> sho-sin o-som..... The translaton reads: "Traditionally, we do not
> partake of the poured wine, out of consideration for the losses caused
> by the plagues...."

I wrote a while ago, the first time you posted this, that this is a
gross mistranslation.    "Hamakos" refers to the drops of wine, not to
the plagues that happened to the Mitzrim!   All it says is that we
pour the makos out to waste, rather than keeping them.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion