[Avodah] Why Not: Yehoshua BEN Nun?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jun 17 12:54:11 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 04:06:35AM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: If you are using the word "nekudot" to refer to the written
: representation of sounds, then I tend to agree. Any given sound may be
: represented by this artistic diagram or by that one, and halacha doesn't
: really care.

As I mentioned, the grouping of sounds into symbols was once subject to
machloqes. The example I gave: what we call segol and patach would be
grouped as one vowel in Bavli niqud. What if Bavli niqud had won out,
rather than Tiverani? Would we be yotzei the mitzvah if we would have
started it "Sheme' Yire'eil"?

I think the symbols do reflect decisions that have halachic impact.