[Avodah] Why Not: Yehoshua BEN Nun?

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Jun 16 21:06:35 PDT 2012

R' Zev Sero wrote:

> The nekudot merely document the existing pronunciation; they
> don't dictate it.  So they're not halachot.  But in any case
> the whole concept of "progressive relevation" is irrelevant,
> because for the answer we're discussing to work the nekudot had
> to be known to Moshe Rabbenu.  Which used to be universally
> believed, but isn't much any more.

If you are using the word "nekudot" to refer to the written representation of sounds, then I tend to agree. Any given sound may be represented by this artistic diagram or by that one, and halacha doesn't really care.

But if you are using the word "nekudot" to refer to the sounds themselves, then I don't understand what you mean. Surely you realize that changing a sound can change the meaning of a word, and that there are cases where the meaning is changed so much that the halacha requires one to repeat it with the correct sound.

So, am I correct that you are referring to the written representation? For example, that in the word between "Yehoshua" and "Nun", you are referring to whether the vowel in that word has one dot or three? And that you are NOT questioning the sound made by that vowel?

Akiva Miller