[Avodah] aveilus

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Jun 12 11:24:10 PDT 2012

R' Micha Berger asked:

> Why are people in these cases -- lo aleinu -- told not to sit,
> rather than being told they aren't mechuyavim to sit?

Just a wild guess: Could it be so that the men don't skip tefillin during aninus? And for both men and women: Mitzvos aseh during aninus in general.

On the other hand, a great deal would hinge on exactly how it is phrased. If the posek would say, "You are not mechuyav to sit shiva; it is optional", then I can easily see how many would choose to optionally sit shiva, and make the error of skipping mitzvos aseh in aninus. But if the posek would say, "Avelus does not apply, but mourn in your own way," then there would be no such danger.

Akiva Miller