[Avodah] aveilus

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 19 03:01:11 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:53:48PM -0600, Daniel M. Israel wrote:
: > Why are people in these cases -- lo aleinu -- told not to sit, rather
: > than being told they aren't mechuyavim to sit?

: Are there no issurim involved in sitting when you aren't mechuyav?

That is the core of my question. I know that geirim are permitted to
practice aveilus for their horim nachriim. So I figured that in general,
aveilus is permissable.

Assuming the "aveil" learns as much time, if not the same material,
so there is no bitul Torah issue, I can't imagine an issur involved.

Micha Berger             The true measure of a man
micha at aishdas.org        is how he treats someone
http://www.aishdas.org   who can do him absolutely no good.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Samuel Johnson