[Avodah] Fwd: Rabbi Hershel Schachter - True Freedom

Samuel Svarc ssvarc at gmail.com
Fri May 11 07:46:40 PDT 2012

On May 11, 2012 10:19 AM, "Micha Berger" <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:09:56AM -0400, Samuel Svarc wrote:
>: RHS ignored the Israeli reality that not learning in Kollel means joining
>: the army. I can't speak for the RY in question, but setting up the question
>: as one of a) learning full time b) being an eved Hashem ignores the reality
>: of IDF, an institution that was setup and is being perpetuated as a melting
>: pot.

> I don't think you know the reality of the IDF. But much of that reality
> is created by the number of O Jews in the army.

I know what the Zionist founders of the IDF explicitly stated. As well,
what recent commissions found that eliminating the draft and moving to
a professional paid army (like the US) would be more cost effective. The
"social value" is why it's being retained.

Further your assertion that greater numbers of O Jews would make a
difference, is shown to be naive from recent decisions forcing O Jews
to hear live kol isha, when there is absolutely no reason (of any type -
military or otherwise) for it.

> It's also assur to avoid a milkhemes mitzvah. We even pull a chasan or
> kallah from sheva berakhos, and talmidei chakhamim are drafted FIRST. So
> I'm not sure anyone -- including those of us living in chu"l -- really
> have a choice when Israel is under attack, or to be trained to be of
> help when it is.

I'm content to rely on those who vastly overshadow (to a degree that
it is absurd to even mention it) RHS, such as the CI, who had no such
practical concerns.

> I realize you can well disagree, for that matter, R Dovid did. But you
> need to work with RHS's shittos within /his/ assumptions.

No! No! RHS is entitled to his own opinions, and anyone who wants to
take his over, say, the CI, Steipler, etc., enjoy. He is not entitled
to leave out ikar chaser min hasefer when describing the question.

[Moments later, RMSS corrected himself in a second email to the
list. -micha]

Strike " He is not entitled to leave out ikar chaser min hasefer when
describing the question." and replace with "When describing a question
one can't leave out important information. "

RHS is a TC; I won't say what he is entitled to.

KT,
MSS