[Avodah] Fwd: Rabbi Hershel Schachter - True Freedom

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 11 07:19:48 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:09:56AM -0400, Samuel Svarc wrote:
: RHS ignored the Israeli reality that not learning in Kollel means joining
: the army. I can't speak for the RY in question, but setting up the question
: as one of a) learning full time b) being an eved Hashem ignores the reality
: of IDF, an institution that was setup and is being perpetuated as a melting
: pot.

I don't think you know the reality of the IDF. But much of that reality
is created by the number of O Jews in the army.

It's also assur to avoid a milkhemes mitzvah. We even pull a chasan or
kallah from sheva berakhos, and talmidei chakhamim are drafted FIRST. So
I'm not sure anyone -- including those of us living in chu"l -- really
have a choice when Israel is under attack, or to be trained to be of
help when it is.

I realize you can well disagree, for that matter, R Dovid did. But you
need to work with RHS's shittos within /his/ assumptions.

: Sent from my mobile phone