[Avodah] Any opinions on the kashrus of Peng Peng?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed May 9 17:07:59 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 09:07:35AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
> It is naturally, intuitively, correct to eat.  You're making a false
> distinction between ethics and biology.  The Maharal says on Avot 3:20
> that derekh eretz includes understanding and dealing with the world of
> nature.  Not just business and not just ethics.  So does RSRH: "Derech
> Eretz includes everything that results from the fact that man's
> existence, mission and social life is conducted on Earth, using earthly
> means and conditions."

Studying biology teaches "is", not "ought".

DE in the sense of a mandate is an "ought" -- that's what "mandate" means.

The Is-Ought Problem is an old philosophical chestnut by David Hume.
How exactly do we jump from "is" (whether a biologocial statement or a
theological one) to "ought"? Some believe Hume was saying it can't be
cone, and call this Hume's Guillotine, but he never actually says so.

So, one might say that DE includes higher culture and education (as
per RSRH) or science in particular or whatnot, in the statement "yafeh
TT im DE". But not in the usage of "DE" in "DE qodmah ... laTorah" --
that must in particular be talking about the "oughts" one can obtain
from common and uncommon sense, without revelation. The part of the
greater DE which deals with morality.

Micha Berger             Today is the 32nd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Hod: What type of submission
Fax: (270) 514-1507                 really results in dominating others?