[Avodah] Any opinions on the kashrus of Peng Peng?

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Wed May 9 07:07:35 PDT 2012

On 5/8/2012 2:57 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 10:11:27AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
>> I don't see that all would have been assur to eat.  On the contrary,
>> nothing is forbidden -- ever -- without a prohibition.  Derekh eretz
>> kadma l'Torah 26 dorot.  Hashem created all living things with a need to
>> eat, so we eat.
> But I don't see the connection to DE. AIUI, DE is natural, intuitive,
> ethics, not biology.

It is naturally, intuitively, correct to eat.  You're making a false
distinction between ethics and biology.  The Maharal says on Avot 3:20
that derekh eretz includes understanding and dealing with the world of
nature.  Not just business and not just ethics.  So does RSRH: "Derech
Eretz includes everything that results from the fact that man's
existence, mission and social life is conducted on Earth, using earthly
means and conditions."

> Getting back to the original question.... Given the basic choq nature of
> most of hilkhos kashrus, I don't see how one can say that HQBH expects
> anything out of us but strict and close obedience to the words of the law.

Agreed.

Lisa