[Avodah] Any opinions on the kashrus of Peng Peng?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 8 12:57:24 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 10:11:27AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
> I don't see that all would have been assur to eat.  On the contrary,
> nothing is forbidden -- ever -- without a prohibition.  Derekh eretz
> kadma l'Torah 26 dorot.  Hashem created all living things with a need to
> eat, so we eat.

I agree with the basic principle that everything is by default mutar
until prohibited, with the added caveat that it is prohibited to be a
menuval birshus haTorah. IOW, I mean "prohibited" not "explicitly
prohibited".

But I don't see the connection to DE. AIUI, DE is natural, intuitive,
ethics, not biology.

Getting back to the original question.... Given the basic choq nature of
most of hilkhos kashrus, I don't see how one can say that HQBH expects
anything out of us but strict and close obedience to the words of the law.

See Bekhoros 1:2 (and the bavli ad loc, mostly 7a if you want to avoid the
complications of bekhorah involving both the mother and the child, sticking
to kashrus), discussing animals born misshapen:

    Behemimah tehorah sheyaldah kemin beheimah temei'ah, mutar ba'akhilah.
    Utemei'ah sheyaldah kemin beheimah teshorah, asur ba'akhilah.
    Shehayotzei meihatamei, tamei;
    veyahotzei min hatahor, tahor.

IOW, the calf (?) is kosher for much the same reason as the cow's milk is.

Micha Berger             Today is the 31st day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Hod: What level of submission
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      results in harmony and balance?