[Avodah] Theoretical and Real Shiurim

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Apr 6 07:08:27 PDT 2012

On 6/04/2012 7:59 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
> I was going to cite it as a 6th example, except that qiddush hachodesh
> has "hachodesh hazeh*lakhem*" to separate astronomy from Rosh Chodesh.
> We define, not find, RC. One can't use it to point to a general rule
> about following pesaqim even when based on a mistake.

And the same thing applies to Yovel, where the pasuk says "vesafarta
lecha".  So if this is the way we counted then it doesn't matter if
we "should" have counted a different way.  So the example from the
Rambam fits exactly.

> I am not sure you're correct. Why would the Rambam mention the geonim
> rather than people in bayis sheini, Chazal, or the generations since the
> geonim (e.g. "mei'avosai"), if he meant something continuous that happened
> to run through their era.

Becuase he didn't get the kabalah from his fathers.  The kabalah is
specifically kept by the Geonim, who have it ish mipi ish.  The Rambam's
own ancestry was from Spain, not Iraq.

>> Where is that from, exactly?  For what application....

> R' Chaim Kanievsky, reporting on the CI's seder. Nidon didan.

Unless he's talking about the single kezayis of matza that women eat
(if they're not getting from the kaarah), all the kezeisim of the
seder can be 1/3 of a kebeitza, rather than 1/2.

Besides which, this is inconsistent with the CI's letter to RACN,
published in Shiurei Mikveh, where he insists that even though he
has no proof for his shiurim, "libi omer li" that they are correct,
and he would rely on them even to permit an eishes ish to the world.
How could he then turn around and not use them himself?

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion