[Avodah] Theoretical and Real Shiurim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Apr 6 04:59:37 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 06:16:22PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 5/04/2012 5:44 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
>> Or, comparing to acharonic shitos, we get somewhere between the CI's
>> *lemaaseh*  of 17cc
>
> Where is that from, exactly?  For what application....

R' Chaim Kanievsky, reporting on the CI's seder. Nidon didan.

> To make this clearer, I'm saying that [the mistaken shemittah] is in
> the same category
> as R Yehoshua holding that Rabban Gamliel was wrong to have been
> mekadesh the chodesh when he did....

Which also didn't matter lehalakhah.

I was going to cite it as a 6th example, except that qiddush hachodesh
has "hachodesh hazeh *lakhem*" to separate astronomy from Rosh Chodesh.
We define, not find, RC. One can't use it to point to a general rule
about following pesaqim even when based on a mistake.

> I think the Rambam is doing a similar thing in Hil' Shmitta Veyovel:
> he's saying that according to his understanding of what Chazal *said*,
> they ought to have counted one way; but we have a mesorah that they in
> fact counted a different way...

Then it would be following eidus about the CC or CI over their books.
All within legal process. I don't see the comparison to R Gamliel's RC,
but okay.

I am not sure you're correct. Why would the Rambam mention the geonim
rather than people in bayis sheini, Chazal, or the generations since the
geonim (e.g. "mei'avosai"), if he meant something continuous that happened
to run through their era.

But since it's certainly possible, I guess I should take shemitah off
my list of proofs. Nu, I have only 4. And WRT those related to science,
the Gra and R' Kook have a shittah that we "only" follow laws that have
a basis in rejected theories lechumerah. If that carries through to our
case, we would still need to eat matzah and maror within the range of
accepted shitos tonight, and the historical kezayis would have to be
used for Yom Kippur's maximum.

:-)|,|ii!

Micha Berger             Man is a drop of intellect drowning in a sea
micha at aishdas.org        of instincts.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507