[Avodah] Theoretical and Real Shiurim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 5 13:56:34 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 04:13:27PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 5/04/2012 3:46 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
>> Let's take a ballpark number of the amah of an even 44cm, yielding an
>> etzba of 1.83 cm, or a revi'is of 20 ml. (Given the approximation from
>> the data, I'm rounding.) A kezayis would be 6.6 cc.
>
> Um, something's gone terribly wrong with that calculation.  An amah
> of 44 cm gives a revi'is of 66.55 ml, and thus a beitza of 44.37 cm^3
> and a kezayis of either 22.18 cm^3 or 14.79 cm^3, depending on whether
> you use 1/2 or a 1/3.

Let me do it stepwise:

44 cm/ammah / 24 etzba/amah = 1.3 cm / etzbah
2 x 2 x 2.7 etzbah = 3.67 x 3.67 x 4.95 cm = 19.8 cc
19.8 cc/reviis / 3 reviis/kezayis = 6.6 cc/kezayis.

No, it checks.

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 03:10:05PM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
>> I really think that the argument has to be halachic, or else we need
>> to be machmir anyway so as not to violate minhag Yisrael on the range
>> of accepted pesaqim. No? Accepted halakhah (nispasheit lekhol Yisrael)
>> creates legal authority.

> See, I can't agree with that.  Not when it's clearly a mistake.  Not
> when there was clearly a lack of knowledge and a chumra was created for
> the purpose of being super-extra-positively-safe.

G-d Himself stuck up for R' Eliezer's pesaq on tanur shel achnai. Being
right didn't make his opinion law. Legal process does -- acharei rabim
lehatos.

Notice that this error in understanding what a keli is created an
unnecessary chumerah. Much like erring on the side of overly large
zeisim -- when speaking of a minimum.

> Furthermore, there is no universally accepted shiur.  There are
> different shitot.  So how can any of them, or even all of them in the
> aggregate, replace the reality?

Halakhah is a legal system. Its predicates are about laws, not reality.

As I wrote in reply to R' David ben Haim's article, "Torah as Real as
It Gets" (sometimes titled, "Kzayit: Rashi Almost Never Saw an Olive")
in The Jewish Press