[Avodah] ret: costa concordia - and Specialization

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 5 12:56:36 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 06:42:46PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> As is clear from Chazal's uses of both idioms, the notion that it means
>> "do it to save future lives" doesn't fit. So regardless of how you like
>> my answer to your question or not, this understanding is muchrakh.

>> See also the Yad -- Melakhim 10:12

> "Darkei shalom"; what has that got to do with "mishum eivah"?

I said "both idioms".

You also don't mention the bulk of my post... both idioms are used
in contexts in which fear of retribution is unrealistic, eg within a
marriage, father to son, etc...

It's about avoiding hatred because hatred is something to be avoided,
and pursuing peace because peace is a primary value.