[Avodah] ret: costa concordia - and Specialization

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Apr 2 15:42:46 PDT 2012

On 2/04/2012 6:35 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 05:51:13PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> Then why was it not permitted before the 19th century?
>
> As is clear from Chazal's uses of both idioms, the notion that it means
> "do it to save future lives" doesn't fit. So regardless of how you like
> my answer to your question or not, this understanding is muchrakh.

> See also the Yad -- Melakhim 10:12

"Darkei shalom"; what has that got to do with "mishum eivah"?

>, Avadim 9:8.

Doesn't even mention "darkei shalom" (presumably because we need no shalom
with slaves).  All it talks about is developing midas harachmanus, and
eschewing midas ha'achzarius.

> The Rambam Teh 145:9  "Tov H' lakol" as the source for mipenei darkhei
> shalom. Kind of open-n-shut, no?

Again, what has this got to do with healing them on Shabbos, which
the very same Rambam *expressly forbids*?

> But to answer the question as per previous iterations: The pursuit of
> shalom is a primary value. That is a constant. The application of the
> value to the real world changes as the world does. Producing shalom
> wasn't an potential goal until Emancipation.

And where do you find that "darkei shalom" justifies chilul shabbos?

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion