[Avodah] two fictional sects

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Tue Apr 3 12:56:44 PDT 2012

RMB:

<<I don't think this holds if the individual moves to a place that has
no minhag. See Pesachim 50a-51a.>>

Could we be more precise about which sugya?

<<(Yes, Bavli. Although there are parallel sugyos in the Y-mi.) This is
why we in the real US, where meqomos have no minhagim, we ARE bound to
minhag avos.>>

Even the sugya of Benei Bayshan is talking about the inhabitants of a
town, not the children of a parent.

<< You don't say where their history diverges from the real one.>>

Late 1800s, founded by Messianic revisionists from a fictional town in
Czarist Russia (more detail unspecified).  Would you claim that the town
was founded based on a minhag taus? What would the current inhabitants
do then? After all, the descendants have no connection to the European
town or its minhagim.  Where does their obligation come from? Why should
they adopt someone's strange minhagim?

David Riceman