[Avodah] two fictional sects

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 16 13:41:48 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 03:56:44PM -0400, David Riceman wrote:
> RMB:
>> I don't think this holds if the individual moves to a place that has
>> no minhag. See Pesachim 50a-51a. ...                           This is
>> why we in the real US, where meqomos have no minhagim, we ARE bound to
>> minhag avos.
>
> Even the sugya of Benei Bayshan is talking about the inhabitants of a
> town, not the children of a parent.

Which is why I didn't said this applies to individuals.

But Benei haBayshan are following minhag avos -- prior generations
of Benei haBayshan. The moving of a minhag hamaqom when many of the
residents of that maqom move is an instance of minhag avos -- the leaving
generation doing what their parents did. It's not what their new maqom
does -- it had no minhag.

The only difference is that the BhB moved en masse. Kind of like the
group relocation of some Chassidishe groups or of Frankfurt's KAJ.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Gevurah: When is strict justice
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            most appropriate?