[Avodah] two fictional sects

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 3 12:11:56 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 02:07:09PM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
> I have a problem with that.  After all, how did German Jewry get its
> minhag?  How did Spanish Jewry get its?  Presumably, when Jews got
> there, there was no minhag.  But they couldn't all go by minhag avot,
> because that could differ from person to person.

I think they did exactly what we're seeing now in the US and Israel.
People do follow minhag avos, or at least try to in general, but slowly
norms are emerging. Not through any conscious effort, just drift. If
I thought galus would last another 150-200 yrs, ch"v, I would suggest
that some day there would be a Minhag America, much like the Seph and
Ashk precedents.