[Avodah] ein haztibbur yachol ya-amod ba

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 11:14:44 PDT 2012

>>2) Ein HaTzibbur Yachol Laamod bo? Is that what the community currently
can do or what they want to do. Yachol Laamod seems to me what they are
capable of
doing.  I do think we are capable of a lot more than we give ourselves
credit for.  We are a strong people, look how many people stood up and send
their kids to yeshiva education at ridiculously high prices etc.  How many
people keep shabbos at a time when you would be fired (yes I know one is a
takanna and one is a dioraysa, but it is clear that we are stronger then we
think.  The word was Yachol not Rotzeh)  <<

The origin of the phrase is AZ 36a with regard to the oil of idol
worshippers. The gemara says that they checked and found that in fact the
gezerah was not kept, R, Yehuda HaNasi did not say that a people who had
survived Roman persecutions could certainly get along without the oil of
the gentiles,

In the case of oil it was harder to get rid of the decree since it had been
observed for a while but for a new gezerah it is enough if the people dont
accept it (see tosafot AZ 36b)

--
Eli Turkel