[Avodah] Scholarship, Mesorah, and the Misisng nun of Ashrei

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jun 3 07:06:48 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 03:18:34PM -0700, Daniel M. Israel wrote to Areivim:
: [C]onsider for example, the Ashrei. It is an acrostic, but "missing" the
: line starting with "nun." The "most likely" explanation, favored AFAIK
: by secular scholars, is that the line existed and was dropped at some
: point due to a scribal error. IIRC, this explanation got further support
: when a variant text was found (in the Dead Sea Scrolls, perhaps?) that
: did have a line for "nun."

: Of course, the major meforshim say that
: David HaMelech left that line out deliberately. And even the variant
: text could be explained by reveresing the reasoning: perhaps a scribe
: noticing the "missing" line took it upon himself to compose one. The
: point is, even if you conclude that the first explanation, the one of
: the historians, makes more sense, that doesn't mean that it is right....

The Septuagint has a nun line, but it looks like a translation of a
sentence starting "ne'eman". And there is the scroll RDMI refers to, 11PQs-a
<http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/deadsea.scrolls.exhibit/full-images/psalm-b.gif>
where we have something that could well be what the LXX translated,
but it is almost exactly like the tzadi line: Ne'eman Hashem bekhol
ma'asav... It's not overly convincing; we don't need to assume a creative
scribe filling in a hole. It's more likely a copiest who expected the
line to be there accidentally mistranscribed, producing a whole new
tradition for sectarians to use.

RGS posts a quote from R' Prof Sholom Carmy