[Avodah] Halachic Policy Guidelines of the Kashrus Authority of Australia

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Dec 13 13:13:11 PST 2011

On 13/12/2011 4:04 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> b. If there is uncertainty as to the nature of an ingredient or if
>>  it's sub-components have not been able to be thoroughly investigated --
>>  provided that there is a reasonable likelihood that it is of kosher origin
>>  and in the worst case scenario the ingredient would anyway be batel --
>>  the final product will be approved ( but never certified) .

This refers to where the ingredient comes from somewhere else, and
*that* factory has no hechsher.  In the USA and EY they follow the chain
of manufacture all the way down to the ultimate raw material.  In Oz they
may try to do this, but if they can't they can fall back on bittul.
But the principle they're using would apply even to an ingredient known
to be assur; the goy is being mevatel it for his own purposes, not for
our sake, and doesn't really care whether we accept it or not, so there's
no element of "lechatchila".

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will