[Avodah] Halachic Policy Guidelines of the Kashrus Authority of Australia

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 13 13:04:59 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 02:43:56PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
>> The product isn't inspected, the ingredient isn't listed. So how do we know
>> it's there? I thought the whole point of this line of reasoning is that we
>> don't have to inspect, we don't have to know, since we also have bitul.
>
> What do you mean by "the product isn't inspected"?  Items on the kosher
> lists that we're discussing are certainly inspected.  The rabbonim know
> what's in them...

Well, from Prof RYL's original post (28 Nov), quoting
<http://www.ka.org.au/index.php/Halachic_Policy/The_Kashrut_Authority_and_Kashrut_in_Australia.html>
"The Kashrut Authority and Kashrut in Australia":
> 3. We have a third level (that does not exist in the USA). These
> are what we have called ?approved? products manufactured by persons
> not of the Jewish faith....

> a. If there is a definitely non-kosher ingredient then the product will
> not be listed regardless of the ability to nullify. We do not rely on
> bitul in such circumstances.

> b. If there is uncertainty as to the nature of an ingredient or if
> it's sub-components have not been able to be thoroughly investigated --
> provided that there is a reasonable likelihood that it is of kosher origin
> and in the worst case scenario the ingredient would anyway be batel --
> the final product will be approved ( but never certified) .

> c. Certain leniencies may be employed in relation to the kosherisation
> of equipment and supervision of such kosherisation as well as frequency
> of visitation.

a and b are relevent, and the bassi of my claim that we're relying on
bitul to take care of any tiny amount of ingredient that might be there (b),
but not is the item is actually known to be there (a).

It's only usable because they do not have the ability to inspect, or at
least not to the point of knowing the full ingredient list.

It is bitul of both the taaroves and safeiq sorts, together.

Micha Berger             We are great, and our foibles are great,
micha at aishdas.org        and therefore our troubles are great --
http://www.aishdas.org   but our consolations will also be great.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabbi AY Kook