[Avodah] Halachic Policy Guidelines of the Kashrus Authority of Australia

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 13 13:23:06 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 04:13:11PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> But the principle they're using would apply even to an ingredient known
> to be assur; the goy is being mevatel it for his own purposes, not for
> our sake, and doesn't really care whether we accept it or not, so there's
> no element of "lechatchila".

They're relying on two princples in combination, two forms of bitul --
rov unknown ingedients aren't a problem, and bitul betaaroves. Yes,
either alone is sufficient, but lemaaseh they won't approve a product
without the combination.

And thus RnCL's and my discussion about whether they are the same thing,
and if not whether bitul berov in the case of safeiq is weaker, really
has nothing to do with the original topic. The original topic was a case
of using both.