[Avodah] Halachic guidelines for kashrut

Harry Weiss hjweiss at panix.com
Tue Dec 6 09:17:17 PST 2011

> From: "Prof. Levine" <llevine at stevens.edu>
> I note that at www.oukosher.org/index.php/learn/faq  it says, "If you
> can't find a Kosher substitute, consult your local learned Orthodox
> Rabbi for other suggestions.  Am I to deduce from this that there are
> local O rabbis who are not learned?  >:-}

You may have asked the question in jest, but unfortunately it is a
problem.   Unfortunately there are institutions that give semicha to
people whose knowledge leaves much to be desired.  You will see Rabbis
that within a few years after joining a BT yeshiva, will end up with
semicha.

We had a Rabbi who could barely read Hebrew and needed seforim with
English translations.   When someone spoke to the RY who gave him semicha,
the word was he is going to Sacramento, who will know the difference?