[Avodah] Halachic guidelines for kashrut

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 6 09:28:46 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 12:17:17PM -0500, Harry Weiss wrote:
:> From: "Prof. Levine" <llevine at stevens.edu>
:> I note that at www.oukosher.org/index.php/learn/faq  it says, "If you
:> can't find a Kosher substitute, consult your local learned Orthodox
:> Rabbi for other suggestions...

: You may have asked the question in jest, but unfortunately it is a
: problem.   Unfortunately there are institutions that give semicha to
: people whose knowledge leaves much to be desired.  You will see Rabbis
: that within a few years after joining a BT yeshiva, will end up with
: semicha.

These are typically Rav uManhig, not Yoreh Yoreh. If you want to call that
"semichah" or not is a language issue.

In any case, it's also true that the local Y"Y musmach may also not have
dealt with enough hands-on cases to translate all the theory he learned
to lemaaseh questions. Knowing the meqoros doesn't mean having enough
exposure to contemporary and near-contemporary shu"t to know the range
of shitos about what we actually do.

Micha Berger             "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
micha at aishdas.org        "I am thought about, therefore I am -
http://www.aishdas.org   my existence depends upon the thought of a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch