[Avodah] Halachic guidelines for kashrut

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun Dec 4 06:44:26 PST 2011

At 08:58 PM 12/3/2011, R. Martin Brody wrote:

>In fact we all have an obligation to learn halacha and not rely on a
>Rabbi's pronouncements what is kosher or not.

This statement flies in the face of the oft stated,  "When in doubt,
consult your local Orthodox rabbi."   (CYLOR )

>From
http://koshermaven.blogspot.com/2006/02/kosher-kitchen-part-3-kashrus.html

Consulting A Rabbi: When a question regarding a utensil or food
arises, consult an Orthodox Rabbi as soon as possible.

 From http://bit.ly/rMBa8s

The complexities of Jewish Kosher law are such that questions about
what is and what is not kosher or other aspects of the halacha arise
at all times, not only from those who currently keep kosher, but also
from those who are considering doing so. Even rabbis, with their deep
grounding in Jewish texts, need advice at times from the experts on
the finer points of kashrut.

I note that at www.oukosher.org/index.php/learn/faq  it says, "If you
can't find a Kosher substitute, consult your local learned Orthodox
Rabbi for other suggestions.  Am I to deduce from this that there are
local O rabbis who are not learned?  >:-}

Yitzchok Levine