[Avodah] Chabad and Putting on Tefillin on Chol Moed

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Nov 28 08:38:58 PST 2011

At 10:52 AM 11/28/2011, Zev Sero wrote:

>Do you really wonder?  How is it not absolutely obvious to you that he
>did not?  The first and most obvious proof is the fact that L chassidim
>don't.  If the AR wore tefillin on CHM then so would his chassidim,
>regardless of what other chassidim do.  The second and equally obvious
>proof is from the fact that his rebbe, the Mezritcher Maggid, and his
>rebbe's rebbe, the Baal Shem Tov, did not.  It's inconceivable that he
>would wear tefillin when they did not.

A friend of mine told me that the Chabad Library in Crown Heights has
a siddur that the Baal Shem Tov used.  It is hand written.  He told
me that he saw it and that it is *Nusach Ashkenaz*!!!!!    I know
this fellow and have no reason to doubt what he told me.  Based on
this I conclude that the Baal Shem Tov davened Nusach Ashkenaz, yet
his followers of later generations did not.  So, it is also possible
that the Baal Shem Tov did put on tefillin during Chol Moed, and the
Mezritcher Maggid and even the AR and yet their followers of later
generation did not follow what they did.  I have no proof of this,
but I just wanted to point out that your argument does not seem to be
on a solid footing.   YL