[Avodah] Chabad and Putting on Tefillin on Chol Moed

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Nov 27 16:49:22 PST 2011

On 20 November 2011 05:21, Prof. Levine <llevine at stevens.edu> wrote:

> I have posted Lamed Alef, Sif Beis from the Baal Ha Tanya's Shulchan
> Aruch at
> http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/chabad/tefillin_c_m.pdf
>
> It deals with the din of tefillin on Chol Moed.  Given what he wrote here,
> I do not understand why Lubavitchers do not put on tefillin on Chol Moed.
>   Indeed, I wonder if the Baal Ha Tanya himself wore tefillin on Chol Moed.

Do you really wonder?  How is it not absolutely obvious to you that he
did not?  The first and most obvious proof is the fact that L chassidim
don't.  If the AR wore tefillin on CHM then so would his chassidim,
regardless of what other chassidim do.  The second and equally obvious
proof is from the fact that his rebbe, the Mezritcher Maggid, and his
rebbe's rebbe, the Baal Shem Tov, did not.  It's inconceivable that he
would wear tefillin when they did not.

Nor is your question from the ShA a question.  This is not some chidush.
Everyone knows what is written in the ShA; everyone also knows that the
ShA (especially the first edition, which is all we have for most of it)
follows nigleh wherever it contradicts nistar, and also relies heavily
on the Magen Avraham.  He wrote the siddur for his chassidim, and the
psakim there often contradict those in the ShA; wherever they do, his
chassidim follow the siddur, not only because it's mishnah acharonah,
but because it was written as literal halacha lemaaseh, whereas the
ShA was written as a summary of the opinions of the poskim until his day.

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will