[Avodah] Chabad and Putting on Tefillin on Chol Moed

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Nov 28 10:39:45 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:38:58AM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:

> A friend of mine told me that the Chabad Library in Crown Heights has a
> siddur that the Baal Shem Tov used.  It is hand written.  He told me that
> he saw it and that it is *Nusach Ashkenaz*!!!!! ...

That's mistaber. Nusach Ari was compiled by R' SZ of Liadi -- why
would he do so if Nusach "Sfard" was already coined by the Besh"t? The
diversity among the various chassidic attempts to fuse Lurianic kavanos
with something as close to Nusach Ashkenaz as they could manage post-date
Chassidus having a single unified leadership.